Just when you thought the 2013 Ford Fusion couldn’t wow you anymore, Ford announces yet another fuel saving option to add to the mix. For ONLY $295 Fusion customers can now add the exclusive start-stop technology to the laundry list of cool features this vehicle will offer. The system, which is also referred as the Auto Start-Stop, shuts the engine off when the car isn’t moving, like at a red light. Once the driver takes his foot off the brake pedal the engine fires back up, and you’re on your way. This fuel saving technology is most commonly used in hybrid vehicles as well as some higher end vehicles like the Porsche Panamera and BMW Z4. According to Motor Trend the system will only be available on the 2013 Ford Fusion equipped with the 1.6-liter EcoBoost turbocharged I-4 engine.
What Type Of Savings Can You Expect?
The start-stop technology available on the all new 2013 Ford Fusion is one that is likely to make a bigger impact on those who drive in a more urban and city environment than those in rural towns. Ford expects those who buy the system to see between a 3.5% and 10% reduction in overall fuel consumption, with those who drive in more stop and go traffic seeing the biggest reduction. With a $295 investment how much would you really be saving? Well, according to Ford customers who decide to purchase the system, one can expect to save around $1,100 when compared to other midsize sedan owners over a five year period. That’s a 69% annual internal rate of return (using the XIRR Excel function), and in this economy I’ll take that type of return any day of the week.
Additional Fuel Saving Technologies Available
Ford continues to pave the way for what is expected in a mid size sedan offering more industry leading fuel saving options than the competition. Some of the fuel saving technologies found in the 2013 Ford Fusion, which goes on sale later this year, include:
- EcoBoost engines, which combine turbo charging, direct injection and twin independent variable camshaft timing or Ti-VCT, with downsizing to deliver outstanding fuel economy without sacrificing performance.
- Electric power steering eliminating the engine-driven hydraulic pump, lines and fluid.
- Six-speed transmissions, which enable engines to run more efficiently by always selecting the best gear for top fuel economy.
The Power of Choice
Along with the fuel saving technologies available on the Fusion, Ford also gives customers the broadest selection of fuel efficient power trains in a midsize car. Two EcoBoost powered engines, a normal four cylinder engine, a hybrid and a plug in hybrid. Fuel economy according to Ford includes:
- 2013 Fusion 1.6-liter EcoBoost: Delivering a projected EPA-estimated 37 mpg highway
- 2013 Fusion Hybrid: Delivering at least a projected EPA-estimated 47 mpg – 4 mpg better than the Toyota Camry Hybrid
- 2013 Fusion Energi plug-in hybrid: Delivering at least a projected EPA-estimated 100 MPGe-plus rating – making it the world’s most fuel-efficient midsize sedan
If you’d like to learn more or discuss any of the new Ford vehicle models, contact our team toll-free at (855) 367-9095.