Have you ever wished you could get rid of that brick of a garage door opener? Always cluttering up your visor and getting in the way. Well now you can thanks to HomeLink and Car2U, two universal garage door openers factory installed right in your vehicle. Each unit is equipped with a three button garage door opener which will allow you to program any combination of garages and/or gates to each button. As cool as that sounds, it can sometimes be confusing when it comes to actually programming these openers to function. So in order to make the process easier and less frustrating for you, we’ve outlined how to program each type of opener into several, easy to follow steps.
1. Hold your garage remote 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink buttons on your visor.
2. At the same time press and hold both the garage remote and the HomeLink button you wish to program. When the HomeLink light begins to flash rapidly release both buttons
3. Press and hold the same HomeLink button for five seconds then release. Repeat this twice to program the garage door. If the door doesn’t move, press and hold the programmed button and observe the light. If the light stays constant then the programming is complete, If the light blinks rapidly for two seconds then stays constant proceed to steps 4-5.
4. Head to the garage door opener unit and press the Learn/Smart button. It is usually located on the same side as the hanging antenna. Once the button is pressed you have 30 seconds to start step 5
5. Go to your vehicle and press and release the programmed button for two seconds. Repeat this step until the garage door moves. Once it’s moved programming is complete.
1. Press and hold the two outer buttons for two seconds and release.
2. Go to the garage unit and locate the Learn/Smart button and press it. It should be located near the hanging antenna. Once you press the Learn/Smart Button you have 30 seconds to start step 3.
3. Press and hold the desired Car2U button you wish to program and wait for the garage door to move (this sometimes can take awhile so be patient). Once the garage door moves immediately release the button within 1 second and programming is complete.
It’s important to note, the programming of these openers are dependent upon the type of garage door opener you have in your home. These steps will work for those that have a “rolling code” feature. This is the most common type, however some older garage door opener units may not have this feature. We will be covering how to program a garage door that doesn’t have a rolling code (Learn/Smart button) in next weeks article. Also if you have a gate you wish to program to one of the buttons we’ll be explaining that as well.
If you have any questions or concerns you can contact HomeLink’s hotline at 1-800-355-3515 or Car2U’s at 1-866-572-2728. Don’t forget to tell us what you think of our articles by reviewing us on our DealerRater.com page. This helps us continue to provide great content and support of vehicle owners.